Monday, May 3, 2010

Closer to 2 every day

At what point do you stop thinking of your baby as a "baby?" When he starts to walk? Talk? Tie his shoes? Go off to college? Get married?

My "baby" turned 18 months old Sunday. And my head is reeling from the reality of it all. That's a year and a half that our baby has blessed our house with laughter, entertainment, and more than a few tears. I have no way to comprehend where the time has gone, he's grown up so much in that time. And yet.... yet, he's still my baby. The smooshy little boy who loves to give hugs and kisses, both on request and spontaneously. He's the goofball who gives you the side-eye, just for laughs. The perfect little man who fills my heart with love and joy every time I look at him, the amazing creature who made me "Mommy".

And now I look at him and marvel at how he's closer to 2 years old than he is to 1. Astounding. So when does he stop being my baby?

Something's telling me that the answer is "Never".

3 comments:

  1. Just wait till he puts on a tux next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...never! Obviously I can only vouch up until the age of almost 6 at this point, but Michael is still my baby. Your post made me remember Michael's first day of kindergarten....balling my eyes out saying "My BABY just got on the school bus!"
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete